Buried Realm is a solo studio project, hatched from the mind of Josh Dummer. It is the second album he has put out under that moniker and once again he has written an epic, creative record filled not only with his own talent but also with that of a smorgasbord of special guests from around the world. Dummer comments on the album:
“After nearly three years of creating ‘Embodiment of the Divine,’ I am very pleased to present and share this album with everyone. I’m honored to be joined by a number of guests that have influenced my writing and playing over the years. Their contributions have truly helped bring the album to another level. ‘Embodiment of the Divine’ features guest performances from Andy Gillion, Benjamin Ellis, Bob Katsionis, Dean Arnold, Lee McKinney, Peter Wichers, Rafael Trujillo, and Ryan Strain.”
The first single from the album is the title track featuring a guest performance by guitarist Benjamin Ellis (Scar Symmetry, Omega), and guitarist Peter Wichers (ex-Soilwork). It was the first song written for the album and even after the rest of the album took shape, “Embodiment of the Divine” still encompassed the overall message and sound of the album.
Citing that the new album is similar, but with better production than the first, Dummer is eager for fans to hear his next effort.
“The listeners can expect to hear a whole lot of riffs, solos, and melody. The album has its traditional arrangements at times but is also built on technical and chaotic grounds. I think the overall atmosphere of this album is darker compared to the previous one.”
Recommended for fans of Soilwork, Nevermore, and Children of Bodom, Buried Realm is progressive melodic death metal. “Embodiment of the Divine” is out on July 24, 2020.
Listen to the album title track HERE.
Album pre-order HERE.
1. The Burning Remnants (6:00) ft. guests Dean Arnold (Operus, ex-Vital Remains)
2. Overlord (5:38) ft. guest Andy Gillion (Mors Principium Est)
3. Master Psychosis (4:02) ft. guests Benjamin Ellis (Scar Symmetry), Ryan Strain (Chaos For The Masses)
4. Scales of Queen Dragon (4:19) ft. guests Andy Gillion (Mors Principium Est)
5. Silver Tongue (6:35) ft. guests Bob Katsionis (ex-Firewind), Dean Arnold (Operus, ex-Vital Remains)
6. In The Shallow Light (4:54) ft. guests Peter Wichers (ex-Soilwork), Ryan Strain (Chaos For The Masses)
7. Embodiment of The Divine (4:41) ft. guests Benjamin Ellis (Scar Symmetry), Peter Wichers (ex-Soilwork)
8. Infinite Mutation (7:36) ft. guests Lee McKinney (Born of Osiris), Ryan Strain (Chaos For The Masses)
9. The Wonder and Terror of Fortune (5:05) ft. guests Rafael Trujillo (ex-Obscura), Ryan Strain (Chaos For The Masses)
Album Length: 48:56
A true visionary is a rare thing, but such a man is Josh Dummer exemplified in his solo studio project Buried Realm. Influenced by personal experience and executed through metaphors, the progressive and heavy metal leaves room for interpretation and paints an interesting picture for listeners.
Following up on his long time idea of releasing a solo album, he seized the chance with his first offering “Ichor Carcinoma”. Released in 2017 it features guests such as Christopher Amott (Arch Enemy, Armageddon), Peter Wichers (Soilwork), Teemu Mäntysaari (Wintersun) and Travis Montgomery (Threat Signal, Jeff Loomis band).
Inspired by Opeth, Kreator, Old Man’s Child, Symphony X (and tons of old Hair Metal!), Dummer is a man who is not afraid to gaze into the abyss for music and lyrical inspiration. He describes Buried Realm’s music as ‘fierce, cutting, technical, melodic, and memorable.’ The studio project represents a hidden dimension within himself where the ‘buried disputes’ of his life are confronted only through music; where he can express musical ideas without compromising.
The next chapter in Dummer’s journey is 2020’s “Embodiment of the Divine” due out July 24th and while it is parallel to the first, both musically and lyrically, it is a forward step in a sojourn that will be continuing.